Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

*My Interview With* Dot Dot Dot

Chicago Area Band Dot Dot Dot


Rose(guitar), Adam(vocals), Marty(drums), Lisa(bass), Michael(keyboards)
Just months after forming in 2007, Dot Dot Dot performed live on the reality show The Next Great American Band where they were judged on performance, look and overall rock greatness. They won a spot in the competition and even though they didn't win they have been in high demand ever since. I have been lucky enough to see this band play in person and I have to say I was extremely impressed by the way they each command the stage and interact with the audience. 

Name of Member:  Little Lisa - Bass
Home Town: Chicago
Genre/Influences: Everything I like and don't like influences me in one way or another. There is music for every mood. Today the song of the day is Comeback Kid by Sleigh Bells It has everything you need to start a good day. Jumping on bed, in a robe with a riffle, grocery shopping with a guitar in hand.. can a day get any better!

Geek Sheek: Give us a little background on the band and how you all became Dot Dot Dot.


Lisa:  My version of the story goes like this. Blame ADAM!! It was all his idea to make 1 band out of two popular Chicago based groups. The boys were in one band, Rose and I were in another. POW, here we are 5years, 4 records, 700 shows later. Our original drummer left the band in 2010, we then adopted Marty Kane to hit the drums for us.

Geek Sheek: I saw you guys perform 3 years ago at HerrinFest in Herrin Illinois (thank you for the autograph by the way), so I know firsthand that you guys put on a Rockin’ good performance, but for those who haven’t seen you perform what kind of show you put on.
Lisa:  Our shows are probably best described by the people that see them. Some of the comments I have gotten have been really incredible stories of how our shows and music have helped them get through some of the toughest times in their lives, how we made their college experience better and even how people have met and fallen in love at our shows. We play our hearts out and perhaps people connect and identify with that on some level. I'd like to think of our shows as an outlet to escape and a fun social experience.

Geek Sheek: As I understand, you guys where only together as a band for a few months before competing on The Next Great American Band reality show that aired on FOX in 2007. What was the experience like and were you nervous about that fact?

 Lisa:  Nervous, yes. Not because we were only together for a few months, because it was TV and we were being judged. The judging was ridiculous, ya never knew what they were going to comment on.
Heck, I loved being in LA from Oct-Dec, missed most of the Chicago winter. They put us up in a 2 bedroom furnished apartment, Adam got stuck with the couch most of the time. We did not have a car, so our outings were on foot to "The Grove" and down to a mall. Most of our time was spent rehearsing and at the TV studio. Ricky Minor (now the musical director for the Jay Lenno show) was the music director for the show and we had a ton of fun with him, he even let Rose drive his antique Jaguar car that he bought from Nigel Lithcow. I did enjoy the salt water, heated pool at the complex almost everyday though. Over all it was and amazing experience for me.

Geek Sheek: Dot Dot Dot didn’t win but what doors opened up for all of you?
Lisa:  I don't know that it opened any doors for us. It was certainly great exposure.

Geek Sheek: I remember when I saw you guys in concert I was able to chat with “Little Lisa” about some things, specifically about Dot Dot Dot performing in Japan. Was that the furthest the band has ever played and what are some other interesting places the band has played at?
Lisa:  It was actually Guam, Rose's home. Yes that is half way around the world and the farthest we have gone for a show so far.
Every place we play is interesting to me, cause I love to travel. I can totally live out of a suitcase like a gypsy.

Geek Sheek: How many shows a year do you do and does the traveling ever get to you? 
Lisa:  About 125-150 and keep em coming.

Geek Sheek: I noticed a big part of your show is doing covers; with that being said why do covers when you can easily do an entire set of original material?

Lisa:  I don't think gender has anything to do with disagreements. Yes, we do disagree, but it has not erupted into any huge arguments. (yet, knock on wood.) Do we annoy each other, heck yeah... who isn't annoying at some point.

Geek Sheek: What are your favorite songs to perform?

Lisa:  I don't have a particular favorite song to play at this time, but lately my favorite musical moment in the shows have been Michaels keytar solo. They are all ways different and inspire me.

Geek Sheek: What are some things you Geek out over?
Lisa:  Food.. totally love food (healthy food)
Working out, Coffee, Coconut oil



Contact

For more info on the band go to their Facebook and Official Site here.

No comments:

Post a Comment