Actor Michael Coleman
What is the meaning of life? To just be Happy.
It's no secret that Once Upon a Time is a huge hit but what makes it so special besides the amazing writing is the extraordinary people that make up the cast. Michael Coleman has been acting for as long as he can remember and even teaches others about this wonderful craft. Michael has been appearing in countless televison shows, movies and voiced several animated characters but couldn't wait to take on the task of Happy, one of the seven dwarfs.
Name: Michael Coleman
Occupation: Storyteller
Currently Living: in North Vancouver (just up the road from where they shoot the Sherriff’s office for Once Upon a Time.
Occupation: Storyteller
Currently Living: in North Vancouver (just up the road from where they shoot the Sherriff’s office for Once Upon a Time.
Geek Sheek: How did you get into acting?
Michael: Hard to say really. It’s all I’ve ever done. I mean, I’ve had countless day jobs in my earlier years (video store clerk, mascot, wedding decorator, brick layer, shoe salesman, sporting goods, candyman…) but acting has always been priority one.
I guess it all “went pro” one night, in my early days of professional stand up and improv. An television actor in the crowd, took me aside after the show, and told me if I wasn’t working in film & television – I should be and he connected me to his agent the very next morning. (Thank goodness I didn’t stink up the joint on that night. LOL) I have been extremely lucky with the mentors and peers I’ve had during every step of my journey and the overwhelming support of my family and friends.
Truthfully I’ve heard “no” and “quit” and other less than positive suggestions more times than anyone could count. But I’m either too stupid or stubborn too listen and have always lived by the rule of “fall down 7 times, get up 8”. Hard to lose when you don’t know how to stay down. I think Happy is similar to me in this way. I imagine the bad guys will get used to me being a handful in seasons to come.
Geek Sheek: What is your process when going to auditions and what was your experience with the Once Upon a Time audition?
Michael: I actually own one of the larger acting schools here in Western Canada (www.vancouveractingschool.com) and I use the exact same system for preparing my own auditions that we give to all of our students. (While I am mid shameless-plug I should note that a few of the Once Upon a Time cast members teach at our school (Alex Zahara/King Midas, Catherine Lough Haggquist/Fairy Godmother & my good buddy Geoff Gustafson/Stealthy) and others like Ginny and Josh and Lee have offered to come speak to the students when the show is back up for season two. How cool are these guys? Love this cast & crew!
Now, my process is simple and specific, and I spend a few hours the day before an audition doing the following:
· Read all of the information provided 3 times (full script if available)
· I then research as much of the information as I can (locations, characters, etc.)
· I then read my audition scenes with the following passes (first time, purely as an interested audience member to get a feel for the story, second time through is to focus on what everyone BUT me is saying, doing & wanting and lastly I go through for myself and do extensive text analysis, relationship analysis & character building
· Then I learn the story as a series of beats and lastly I learn the words.
· An hour before the audition I listen to music that my character may listen to or music that inspires what feel my character may have – Disney auditions are always fun LOL
· In the waiting room I mostly keep to myself and focus entirely on what my character wants from his scene partner in each scene and specifically who I am talking to.
· Lastly, I go in without any expectations to book and treat every audition like it is simply an opportunity to have an audience for my art. Sometimes it’s an audience of one – LOL – but beggars can’t be choosers.
My audition for Once Upon a Time was VERY interesting. I remember the project existed and they were looking for all kinds of roles but I wasn’t in on any of the first rounds. Finally during the last round of callbacks I was brought in as a wild card option. I have booked lots of work through this casting office (Clark & Page) in the past (Fringe, a couple of Stargates, etc.) and they always provide a solid room that is conducive to actors doing their best work.
I believe it was Steve Pearlman and Mark Mylod (Director of the pilot episode) who were in the room along with both casting directors, Jennifer Page & Corrine Clark. I don’t remember if it was Mark or Steve who asked the question “So, you’re reading for Happy?” but I do remember my response… “I just found out my wife and I are pregnant with our first child! I dare someone in this room to convince me I’m NOT Happy” and then smiled ear to ear and belly laughed at my own joke. Thankfully everyone in the room followed suit.
Geek Sheek: I understand you do a lot of voice acting, how is that different from stage acting?
Michael: It really isn’t that different when it comes to the “acting” element of it all. Very similar choices and preparation is involved. What is nice is the shorter days (often a ½ hour to 4 hours) which is different than the 12+ hour days we do on Once Upon a Time. The prosthetics people on our show are brilliant and get us down in 2-3 hours, but with touch ups, blocking, rehearsals, etc. we can often be on set for 8 hours or more before shooting anything. But I love every second of the process and would do 24 hour days, every day if they let me.
Geek Sheek: On Sundays when Once is on what is your ritual? Do you watch the show with family and friends?
![]() |
| (Michael Coleman as Happy on Once Upon a Time.) |
Michael: Sometimes I watch it at the hovel (aka Lee Arenberg’s hotel room) with the other dwarfs and sometimes Josh or Raphael or other cast members join us… other times I watch it at home with my wife and daughter and pretend I don’t know what’s happening so it can truly be a surprise for them. They like the show. But I also think they are biased.
Michael: Enough for an entire book already J I often share a trailer with Bashful (who is also my bunk bed mate on the show) and we often spend loads of hours chatting and goofing around. I like to make up song parodies that have a 7 dwarfs spin and can be heard or seen dancing or singing (Doc is my partner in crime here and breaks out his killer dance moves when the mood strikes). I remember on the pilot we were all goofing around I flashed someone a 7 gang sign. We soon all jumped on board and through one up to Ginny (we hadn’t officially even met her yet but it was her wedding scene from the pilot, where the Queen bursts in and causes trouble. We just wanted to let her know we had her back from episode one forward.
Another great story was early on Ginny approached each of us and presented us with a pez of our individual characters (note: dwarfs love candy and will offer you a life debt in exchange for goodies) and it was incredibly heart warming.
We have sometimes ended up at Dennys in the wee hours of the morning (Snow, Charming, the 7 dwarfs, sometimes Granny & Red) after a long night shoot. I love it when we travel off set as Snow White & the 7 Dwarfs. LOL Killer.
Michael: I am a writer and have written a television series and a couple of features. I am also a die hard hockey fan (Vancouver Canucks specifically) and watch every game. I also play in a few leagues and get on the ice at least 2-3 times every week.
Michael:Best thing that’s ever happened to me. It needs to be experienced to be understood. I have never loved life more than when I see it in my child’s eyes.
Michael:Ohhhhhh… sooooo many. I was up for Cyclops in X-Men (the role went to my roommate Kirby Morrow and I was given the role of Sunspot instead). I was also in the mix for one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I remember submitting an audition tape for Samwise Gamjee long before anyone knew how cool that project would be… so many, so many.
How did I handle it? I don’t really handle not getting roles as I have a policy that once the audition is over, the role is over. If they REALLLLLYYYY like what I did, we’ll do it again with cameras and more people etc. and I’ll get paid for it, but the audition is the gig.
Michael:All of the characters on this show are so iconic… it is beyond being “an honor” as this is a childhood fantasy coming to life. I grew up with these guys from birth. To be able to bring them to life… it sincerely makes me a little teary. I feel like this is what it must feel like to win the Super Bowl or Stanley Cup or something… except I get to do it 8 or 9 months of the year! It is a euphoric experience I am incredibly grateful for and will cherish for all my days.
Geek Sheek: And finally, what are things you Geek out about?
Michael:I am a hard-core Star Wars nerd. Hard core. One of my favorite all-time moments was doing a fan convention that had me signing my autograph beside Peter “Chewbacca” Mayhew…
I am also super hero geek and have enjoyed the privilege of having lunch and spending time in the offices of Stan Lee (my former roommate works close with Stan in his office) watching two parodies of the Incredible Hulk – in which I play the Hulk. Stan confided in me that I was his favorite all-time Hulk. I believe he may have been acting nice and nothing more but my ability for self-delusion won’t have any of that nonsense.
![]() |
| (Jeffrey Kaiser, Gabe Khouth, Michael Coleman, Jared Gilmore) |
Lastly, I am a geek about Once Upon a Time. I’m not only on the show, I’m a fan as well. I think we all are when it comes to cast & crew. We all grew up with this stuff and Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis are such brilliant minds and having people like Steve Pearlman and Jane Epsenson producing and writing and Stephen Jackson’s cinematography… it is truly awe inspiring experience every step of the way.
After reading this interview it sounds like Michael is a man of many hats. We all wish you the best of luck with the show and thank you for the interview. If you want to find out more here are some links to follow.




No comments:
Post a Comment