Ravenhill lead vocalist, Joshua Clifton
Ravenhill is a band that originated from Southern, IL but is now making their mark in Nashville, TN.
Joshua Clifton discusses his band, moving to Nashville, and expectations that are in the music industry there.
Name:
Joshua Clifton
Occupation: Musician
Currently Living: Nashville TN
Band Members: Taylor Chance, Dane Johns, Coleman Fitch, Brady Clifton, Jon Raby, & Joshua Clifton.
Occupation: Musician
Currently Living: Nashville TN
Band Members: Taylor Chance, Dane Johns, Coleman Fitch, Brady Clifton, Jon Raby, & Joshua Clifton.
Geek Sheek: How did the name Ravenhill come about?
Joshua:
We got our name from the evangelist Leonard Ravenhill. He’s a man of God that we look up to and respect because of the life he lived for our Savior. He lived for Truth and that’s what we want this band to be about. So it’s kind of a reminder.
We got our name from the evangelist Leonard Ravenhill. He’s a man of God that we look up to and respect because of the life he lived for our Savior. He lived for Truth and that’s what we want this band to be about. So it’s kind of a reminder.
Geek Sheek: What is your process when writing songs?
I normally come up with a melody or a guitar riff and then I sing or play it after I hit record on my phone. I send it to the rest of the guys and then we get together and create.
Geek Sheek: I know you moved from Southern Illinois to
Nashville TN. What are the differences between the two in regards to the opportunities
to perform as a band?
Joshua:
The demographic in Nashville is a lot larger compared to So Ill. It seems like anywhere I go I run into someone involved in the music industry. So you just start talking to them and show them our stuff, if they like it then the word spreads rather quickly. The selections for venues here is a lot wider than So Ill too, and most of the people we’ve met have some connection to at least one or two of them. We love Southern Illinois and the Saint Louis area but we just really thought it was time for a move. We still play So. IL & STL pretty frequently so sometimes it doesn’t feel too different.
Geek Sheek: What is your favorite song to play live, and
why?
Joshua:
Probably would have to be Lema Ray. I just love everything about that song: the fast parts, the slow parts, how it got its name. The attitude that it carries I feel is one that reaches the soul. But honestly any given show it could be any song that really gets us into the cut and really sets the mood.
Probably would have to be Lema Ray. I just love everything about that song: the fast parts, the slow parts, how it got its name. The attitude that it carries I feel is one that reaches the soul. But honestly any given show it could be any song that really gets us into the cut and really sets the mood.
Geek Sheek: Describe the type of show Ravenhill puts on?
Joshua:
Passionate, unpolished, raw, straight up what you see is who we are and what we’re about. Our goal is TO MOVE YOU! Spiritually, physically or emotionally We wanna move you.
Passionate, unpolished, raw, straight up what you see is who we are and what we’re about. Our goal is TO MOVE YOU! Spiritually, physically or emotionally We wanna move you.
Geek Sheek: What are some obstacles you often face with
the band?
Joshua:
The music industry is so different than it was while I was growing up. Labels don’t have money & bands have to find ways to make a living and pursue their dreams with little or no representation. We are a very D.I.Y. Band. We book, distribute, and manage ourselves. That gets tough when you are talking to festivals on the West Coast and you are from the Midwest and they have never heard of you. It doesn’t matter how good you are or how good of a show you put on, That’s not enough anymore. It seems like labels don’t want to take chances on bands anymore. They want to invest in a band that already has everything in order and I honestly can’t blame them, but sometimes you still want that “I SEE YOUR FUTURE & I WANNA HELP YOU MAKE THAT HAPPEN” attitude. We are currently developing ourselves as if there will never be a label because we don’t want to be waiting for some to determine our future. We are going to do make it happen and if someone wants to help fine but we aren’t waiting around for them.
The music industry is so different than it was while I was growing up. Labels don’t have money & bands have to find ways to make a living and pursue their dreams with little or no representation. We are a very D.I.Y. Band. We book, distribute, and manage ourselves. That gets tough when you are talking to festivals on the West Coast and you are from the Midwest and they have never heard of you. It doesn’t matter how good you are or how good of a show you put on, That’s not enough anymore. It seems like labels don’t want to take chances on bands anymore. They want to invest in a band that already has everything in order and I honestly can’t blame them, but sometimes you still want that “I SEE YOUR FUTURE & I WANNA HELP YOU MAKE THAT HAPPEN” attitude. We are currently developing ourselves as if there will never be a label because we don’t want to be waiting for some to determine our future. We are going to do make it happen and if someone wants to help fine but we aren’t waiting around for them.
Geek Sheek: How do you get the word out about upcoming
shows?
Geek Sheek: What are some of you musical influences?
Joshua:
Anything that has passion and soul! A lot of our influences come from older styles of music. Everything from Ray Charles to Led Zepplin to Johnny Cash and everything in between. Newer influences are bands like The Raconteurs, Manchester Orchestra and The Black Keys.
Anything that has passion and soul! A lot of our influences come from older styles of music. Everything from Ray Charles to Led Zepplin to Johnny Cash and everything in between. Newer influences are bands like The Raconteurs, Manchester Orchestra and The Black Keys.
Geek Sheek: What are some things you Geek out over?
Joshua:
Well musically I Geek out about Old
& New Vinyl & love talking about music & where it came from and who
influenced who & what inspires someone to write a song that changes
people’s lives. As far as geeking out about everything
else…… I am the biggest LOST fan ever & I still haven’t gotten use to it
not being on the air anymore. I'm a huge movie buff & the king of pop
culture trivia(that will get me no where).
*Ravenhill Tour Dates*
-Randi Jean
(Head Geek)


No comments:
Post a Comment