Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

*My Interview With* Robby Benson

A Beastly Wonder

I am so excited to present my interview with the lovely Robby Benson. He is best known as the voice of Beast in Beauty and the Beast, but he once graced the covers of teen magazines, he starred in the 1978 movie Ice Castles and One on One. He has spent just as much time behind the camera as in front of it as a director with credits like  Ellen, Friends and even Sabrina, the Teenage Witch. Robby still voices Beast in video games and in other Disney features but he is a family man at heart. Still married to his wife of 30 years, Karla Devito and father of 2 kids, now in their adulthood. Life couldn't get any better for Mr. Benson.



Name:  Robby Benson
Occupation:  Writer, Director, Composer, Music Engineer, Actor
Currently Living: Anywhere I can…. But always with Karla DeVito
Website:    www.robbybenson.com


Geek Sheek:  Which came first acting or writing and how did you come into both?

Robby:  I had been on Broadway when I was 12. I started writing as a teenager and was lucky to sell a few scripts.

Geek Sheek:  Since I’m a Disney Nerd I wanted to ask you about Beauty and the Beast. What was the process of auditioning and how did you come up with the deep, husky voice that is Beast?

Robby:  I’ve always had a bass-baritone voice but I look like … a tenor! This gave me the chance to use my real voice. And, it also gave me the chance to play the role as if it were a real character rather than a cartoon. But, I do believe that the Beast is pathetically funny – and I went for that every chance I had.


Geek Sheek:  Not sure if you’ve been watching, but Once Upon a Time did a Beauty and the Beast centered episode. What did you think of it and did you like the fact that Rumpelstiltskin/Mr. Gold was the Beast?

Robby:  I’m ignorant when it comes to stuff like this. Sorry….

Geek Sheek:  You’ve graced the covers of many teen magazines in your youth. How did you handle the fame that came with your work?

Robby:  I was lucky. I was taught “old school” which meant that I was focused on the work, never the fame and back then there was very little money. Times have really changed. But, I loved my fans. They were and are courteous and caring. In all of my years of work, I’ve only had a few “tough moments” with a fan. Other than that, I’ve been extremely fortunate.

Geek Sheek:  Alongside acting you also directed several episodes of Friends, Ellen, and 8 Simple Rules. How did you progress from acting to directing?

Robby:   I started directing when I had my first open-heart surgery and could not get insurance as an actor to work. I love the arts and this was the obvious next step, especially since I had always been involved in the writing and editing of my earlier films.

Geek Sheek:  What are the specifics of being a director and has it ever been difficult guiding different types of actors?

Robby:  Directors try to bring the “page” to life. That involves every element you can think of, down to frame size, lens size depth of field… you’d be amazed why something dramatic doesn’t work because you happen to be on the wrong lens; same for comedy – and I love working with actors who care because that is how I was trained.


Geek Sheek:  I understand that you moved away from L.A. many years ago. Was it to get away from the Hollywood grind?
Robby:  Not the “grind” – the “Hollywood”. I’m not an “L.A.” guy…. You can interpret that any way you want, but I don’t like to be negative. Hollywood just isn’t for me.

Geek Sheek:  With your dad being a writer, was he an influence or did you decided upon that all on your own?
Robby:  Yes. My father was my greatest influence. He’s a brilliant writer and maybe someday I’ll be able to write half as well.

Geek Sheek:  I read that you have had 4 open heart surgeries; my father has had two, himself. What charities or organizations do you support?
Robby:  I represented the American Heart Ass. And also had a 5K Valentine’s Run called the Cupid’s Cup in Charlotte, N.C. I spoke before the Senate Appropriations Committee trying to ban cigarettes as sponsors for sporting events. And my new book, “I’m Not Dead…Yet!” is a way for me to reach out and help any and all who are going through heart problems; from the patient to the families; loved ones and friends. It’s a multi-touch book only available on the iPad now but soon it will be Kindle-Fire ready. It has tons of media.

Geek Sheek:  What are some things that you Geek out over?
Robby:  Too personal. Just kidding.

Other Info

 

Robby just released his new book (I'm Not Dead ...Yet!) and it is available on Ipad through Itunes (HERE).
Also, join Robby's Facebook page (HERE). For more info on Robby he has an official website at www.robbybenson.com

No comments:

Post a Comment