Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Save The Ducks

Duck and Run


Going to my local park pond has been a favorite family past time for me as it is for a lot of families. I remember as a 4 year old attempting to feed the ducks and as I got a little too close, the duck started chasing me and even snapped at me as I ran screaming. My mother was so mad at that duck that it was the first time I ever heard her yell out a curse word. But it wasn't the ducks fault it was mine. I got too close and he/she didn't like it, It's the same as if a stranger were to come into my home. You have to be respectful of their territory and know how to properly behave around them.


What NOT to do

  • Do not feed ducks bread! When wild ducks are fed human food (especially bread or crackers) their organs become engorged and fatty, which can cause them to suffer from heart disease, liver problems and other health complications. Bread also has very few nutrients, and can get compacted in a bird's crop. Many rehabilitators see "bread-impacted crop" in sick and distressed park ducks.
To be honest you really shouldn't feed them at all. Regular feeding can cause the following:

             Poor Nutrition       Spread of disease           Unnatural behavior     
             Overcrowding       Delayed migration          Pollution

If you do insist on feeding them then try cheerios, grapes cut in half, a thawed bag of frozen peas or corn, or kale, romaine or other leafy greens (not iceberg lettuce). 

  • Do not allow your children to chase after the ducks. Even though it's cute to see your little boy or girl running after a them it disturbs the birds.

Injured ducks

Mr. Quackers of the WF Park Pond
Now for the reason I decided to write up this post. While on an outing with my family I spotted a very injured duck that was bleeding from the neck. After seeing this poor bird my mood changed and I just couldn't stop thinking about him or Mr. Quackers as I have come to call him.  I'm an animal lover and seeing any animal hurt just makes me physically sick. When I got home I did some research online and figured that his injuries were due to it being matting season and was probably attacked by another duck. It made sense to me because I did see one of the ducks go after another and thankfully it got away. Mr. Quackers injuries included feathers on his neck removed and replaced with a gash that was bleeding. Feathers were torn off of his wings leaving just his bony wing exposed.

The next morning I called the park board and let them know about the injured duck and was told that someone would take care of him. later that evening I went back to the pond to see if the duck was still there and he was, so I took a pic of him. I posted the pic on Facebook showing his injuries. I received so many messages from caring animal lovers that were willing to help me contact the right people.

His wings are also in bad shape
I talked to Pam Sundeen of Second Nature Wildlife Rehabilitation about the duck and she told me she would be getting a hold of the proper people and then would see about taking the duck in and most likely start him on antibiotics.  I just hope that an infection hasn't set in and that getting better doesn't take to much out of him.

Thankfully I was able to get help for this little guy and I'm sure he will make a full recovery. And to everyone reading this, when you see an injured animal do the research and call the right people. It only takes a few minutes and you could be saving the life of something precious to nature.

Second Nature Wildlife Rehabilitation center takes donations so if you feel compelled to help please go (Here) to donate. Or find your local center for wildlife and donate your money or time to help out.

No comments:

Post a Comment