My 9/11 Story
I woke up just after both the North and South towers were hit. I was still quite sleepy and my eyes were forced wide open as I saw the look on my mother's face glued to the television. She told me to sit down and be quiet. I couldn't believe my eyes. The twin towers were smoking and on fire, my mother began to explain to me what was happening but my mind was unable to compute the situation. I just sat in awe at the tv. The towers then fell to the ground and my heart followed after. Most of the news broadcasts were struggling to keep up with what was going on, I can imagine there were many chaotic and awe-stricken people scrambling to watch and report the happenings.
It wasn't till days later that we received report of the hijackings and the specifics of what happened that day.
September 15th, 2001
My hometown of West Frankfort, Illinois held a candle light vigil for the victims. It was down the street from where I lived so I walked there by myself to stand and pray (wow, I'm getting emotional just writing about this) as I arrived to stand in the crowd there was a giant American flag displayed and held up by our local fire trucks. I wish I had pictures of this, I didn't own a camera at the time. All city officials were in attendance and some gave wonderful words of love and encouragement toward our country and it's future from this day forward.
I was given a candle with aluminum foil wrapped at the bottom so that I could hold it while it was lit. I held my candle with pride and said a prayer, I still have that candle today. I wrote the date on it and kept it in a safe place all these years (pictured above). Even though it was 3 days after this tragedy I was still in shock of what was going on but I closed my eyes, bowed my head, and prayed. I had an eminence fear of what was to come. I had been thinking of the end of days and whether or not more terrorists were going to find a way to further take more lives. It was all up in the air and was very unsettling to me as I believe it was for many. All I could do is pray and pray I did. I still pray for the families that lost fathers, brothers, uncles, sisters, daughters, mothers, etc...
They say "Time heals all wounds" but I doubt even 11 years later the sting of such an event could ever be fully heeled. All we can do as a country is prove that, of what happened didn't cause the reaction the terrorists wanted. They wanted to cause pain, suffering, division and make some point of their cause but they only made us stronger and closer as a people. Nothing but Love and Unity has came out of this tragedy, not only from Americans but also that love spread throughout the world. I remember seeing a news segment from London, England with an older man saying that how terrible this all was and that he would gladly fight a war for us if need be. His passion for us only proved the terrorists actions were void and without form.
May 2nd, 2011
Just 10 years after the attacks the news reported another outrageous event, The man responsible for orchestrating the attacks was shot and killed by American snipers. I would have rather seen him serve time in our prisons but I guess our government didn't see any reason for that. I know lots of people are happy that this evil man is dead but I only feel sorrow that his soul couldn't be saved. Disagree with me if you will but I believe in God and that he loves all of us and cries when one of his own doesn't seek him or discover the error of their ways.

No comments:
Post a Comment