Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

*My Interview With* Tina Grounds

A Mission of Hope

Many years ago, Tina Grounds decided to embark on a life changing quest, by becoming a missionary for the lord. She has spent the last few years traveling into the "Bush" (Africa) to serve and teach the local orphans and villager's. This isn't a lifestyle for just anyone. I, myself have sat through many stories and group discussions regarding taking this same trip but I couldn't bring myself to actually do it. It's a taxing trip to say the least, several hours on a plane then long car ride and eventually having to go on foot, and not to mention not being able to bathe for days or even at all. What got me the most was that the nearest hospital would be several hours away and the idea of getting bit or stung by something without immediate medical attention made me rethink this trip entirely. This is why I have so much respect for missionaries and for my friend Tina. With all that to think about she still goes to Africa to let the locals know that God cares for them just as he does everyone else.


Name:  Tina Grounds
Currently Living: West Frankfort, IL
Occupation:  Professor-Early Childhood Education
Geek Sheek:  Tell us your background and how you got interested in Missionary work.

Tina:  As a Christian, I believe it is important to share my faith with others.  While at Mission Fuge with my daughters (years ago), the Lord spoke to me about short term mission work.  Since I am a teacher, I have my summers available without work obligations.  I love people and know that God has given me the heart to work with people.  My spiritual gift is encouragement, and through mission work I have been able to encourage and teach.  While in Xicumbane Mozambique, I had the opportunity to teach children and encourage the women and orphan children in the village.
Geek Sheek:  List the places you have been and the process it takes to get ready to go to those places.
Tina:  I have been to Xicumbane Mozambique Africa six times and Cap Haiten Haiti one year.  The most important preparation is prayer!  I asked my Facebook friends to become my prayer partner about 2 months in advance of my trip.  I started a prayer group and each week provided my prayer partners with specific prayer needs.  I could see the Lord working prior to, during and upon my arrival home from the trip.
I studied my lessons for teaching the children.  There are approximately 250 children in the group; therefore it is a challenge to keep their attention.  I had some of the teenagers (in the team I served with) provide a drama of the story presented to the children.  The children loved it! 
Geek Sheek:  Is there an element of danger when traveling to such places?
Tina:  Yes, I think any time Americans travel outside of the United States there is always an element of danger.  I read Kay Warren’s book Dangerour Surrender while on the trip.  She explains that doing God’s work means getting out of your comfort zone.  She too has traveled to Mozambique to work with people experiencing HIV and AIDS.  So many Christians and/or missionaries are truly in danger as they travel to countries where Christianity is banned.  I thank God for providing me with safe travels.
Geek Sheek:  What did you appreciate most about the culture there?
Carrying water.
Tina:  I love the people of Mozambique.  They have so little materialistically, yet they are so happy. They would give the only shirt they have to a complete stranger.  They are very giving people. I travel to an area in Mozambique without electricity, running water, or roads. They live very simply but are satisfied with what they have. As an American, I have learned so much from them.  I also love their worship.  They love to sing and dance to the Lord!  Their worship services last about 3 hours!  They are so open to hear God’s word as most of them do not have Bibles and many cannot read.  They rely on their pastor or missionary teams to teach them what the Bible says.  Many will walk for miles to come to a church service.
Geek Sheek: Do you have any interesting stories from any of your trips?
Tina:  Wow!  Too many to share here!  A great story this year was how God had his hand in the trip.  My travel partner, Rathel and I gathered supplies to take to the missionaries and children in the village.  We packed lightly so that we could get more supplies in our suitcases.  We each took an additional suitcase knowing that we would have to pay extra.  While at the airport, we placed our suitcases on the scales and the attendant told us we would need to pay an additional fee-we agreed to the fee. As she was placing the luggage on the scale to determine the fee, she said “No charge.”  I asked her how that occurred and she said it came up on the computer without a fee.  I started crying and she said “God is good.”  I said “All the time.” 
The children have no toys so they make their own.
Another story is about the generosity of the people in Xicumbane.  Several years ago, we were visiting some women in the village.  They told us their husbands were hunting in the fields and asked if we were hungry.  Knowing that our stomachs couldn’t handle the food from the village, I stated that we had already eaten.  One of the women said they were going to eat well that evening and wanted us to eat with them.  I asked what they were going to eat and she said “rat.”  I was glad that I had declined the offer!  Many times, we would be sent back to our camp with a live chicken.  It may be all they have to eat and they want us to take it! 
Geek Sheek:  What has been your most noticeable spiritual change since you began ministry as a missionary?
Tina:  I believe that when I serve, God draws me near to him.  I have a wonderful peace knowing that I am doing His work.  Through these mission trips, I have learned to really understand the needs of people.  I have also learned the importance of discipleship training.  Whether working with a new Christian in the United States or Africa, helping them to grow in the Lord is very important.  It has been a great privilege to be a part of that experience.
Geek Sheek:  What was really important to you in your time there that you want us to know?
Tina:  It is important for Americans to know that we have so many material items, yet without Christ we truly have nothing.  Many people ask why not stay in the United States and share the Gospel?  I think most people in the United States have the opportunity to hear about Jesus because of technology and the number of churches.  I know that is not the case in other countries.  Without electricity, technology, transportation, Bibles, etc. they do not have the opportunity.  They are so open to hear about Jesus!
Geek Sheek:  Describe your biblical foundation for missions
Tina:  Every year in my life as a Christian has been a growing year.  I have many mentors and pastors that have been an important part of my Christian life.  I have had the opportunity to sit under several preacher-teachers including Pastor Brett Beasley and Pastor Michael Nave.  I have numerous Christian friends that also have mentored me, my team member Rathel as one of them.  I think the most important foundation of serving in mission work is having willingness and having a joy that only the Lord can provide!  I still have so much to learn, but the process has been one of the greatest joys in my life.

Geek Sheek:  What was the economic situation of the people you ministered to?
Tina:  I can’t really describe it.  You must look at my pictures to even get a sense of the poverty in this area.  I think the greatest sadness is the last of medical care.  There are so many people that are ill and no healthcare system to provide services.  The pastor’s son, Believe, is going to the university to become a doctor.  I have so many hopes for him and the village when he becomes a doctor.  He knows the need as his mother passed away at a very young age several years ago.  She was such a blessing to me and the women in the village.  She was constantly visiting the church members, providing for their needs, and praying for their healing.
Geek Sheek:  Explain the amount of supplies your team takes with them and how can others help when your next trip comes along.
Tina:  We try to take supplies to the school children and orphan children when we go.  God has particularly given me a heart for the orphan children in the village.  This year, Debbie Crawford and her husband Doug, (missionaries with Samaria Mission from Southern Illinois) shared that the school children were using pencil “nubs” to write with.  They would carry them in their mouths so that the pencils would not get lost!  We provided pencils, erasers, notebooks, pencil sharpeners, and plastic bags for the supplies.  We provided blankets, hats, and pencils to the orphan children. 
Samaria Mission seeks mission teams to conduct discipleship training with churches in various villages in Mozambique.  Additionally, they need financial support for the missionaries working in Samaria Mission, supplies, and orphan sponsorship. 

Links For More Info

Check out this video about Samaria Mission trips.

1 comment: