Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

*My Interview With* Faustino Di Bauda

Actor Faustino Di Bauda



Photo Credit:  @whitedogtech

No day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap.
I was excited to interview Mr. Di Bauda as I am a fan of Once Upon a Time but also of The Seven Dwarfs. I think most of us can remember watching Snow White and loving the kind relationship she had with the seven dwarves. For those who haven't seen the 1934 animated Disney film, Snow White found herself seeking refuge with the dwarves after "The Huntsmen" tried to cut her heart out for "The Evil Queen". Faustino plays Sleepy, the dwarf most likely to fall asleep at any given moment and according to the animated version was usually pestered by a fly lol.
For the first time on television the creators of Once upon a Time have brought to life the wonderful childhood characters and Di Bauda finds himself apart of the magic.


Name:  Faustino Di Bauda
Ocupation:  Actor
Currently Living: Port Moody, BC, Canada

Geek Sheek:  How did you get started in acting?

Faustino:
10 years ago I went to India on a yoga retreat where I met a fellow yogi and exactor Swami Ananda Sagra aka Gary. One day joking around with the swamis, Gary said I should be an actor "Or" I was already one.  I replied "no not me, I’m shy".  I didn’t think that was a good idea.
I came back to Canada and almost 2 years later I met someone who was an aspiring actor of whom suggested a school to me and I applied. I got in and quickly started studying at Lyric School of Acting and now over the past 8 years, teachers refer to my resume.

Geek Sheek:  How did you find out about the ABC television drama Once Upon a Time and what was the auditioning process like?

Faustino:

After two years with my agent and getting called out for only commercial auditions I called him and said "send me out for film and television auditions because I’m ready".  Three weeks later he sent me out for Once Upon A Time. I read for Sleepy and did the audition for the casting directors.  A few times they asked me to sit tight in a waiting room for a few moments. Fifteen minutes later I read for Mark Mylod and Steve Pearlman for about five times and they said thank you.
I left a week later  and got a call from my agent that said I got a call back for the show and I  went in and it was not a call back but a meeting of the dwarfs minus Grumpy. They taped an improve meeting of us six a few days later and I got the part. 

Geek Sheek:  Did you specifically audition for the role of Sleepy/Walter?

Faustino

Yes, although they asked me to read for grumpy as sleepy and I prepared it, but when I arrived the casting director said that Sleepy was fine.

Geek Sheek:  How did you feel bringing such an iconic Disney character to life? Explain what it was like the first time you and your fellow dwarfs were in full costume.

Faustino: 

Bringing this character to life was a treat especially when I heard the writers were Eddy and Adam from LOST and it would be more like in that world. So, I just kept it simple and realistic as a working class kind of guy who was tired from hard work is very natural to me since what I did before this was Stone Masonry. Yes, I own my own pickax amongst other stone cutting tools and it doesn’t have SLEEPY written on the handle… at least not yet.
The first day on set I had a scene with Lee Arenberg where we were watching over the castle and I fell asleep so just Grumpy at the time. Later I met Doc in costume, that was pretty cool and later met the rest of the dwarfs. That was a pretty cool day, at the wedding. The coolest was the coffin scene where Snow was dead and it snowed that day…. Sad but beautiful.

(Photo:  L to R. Top - Jeffrey Kaiser, Mig Macario, Michael Coleman, David- Paul Grove, Lee Arenberg, Gabe Khouth, Bottom - Faustino DiBauda)

Geek Sheek:  After following the casts’ twitters I have noticed there seems to be a comradery between you and the other actors that make of the 7 dwarfs (I mean 8 dwarfs, I can’t forget Stealthy). Did you guys all hit it off right away?

Faustino:
The first day I met Mig, David-Paul, Michael, Jeffrey and Gabe. We had a strong feeling this was a great group and later when I met Lee on my 1st day on set, as a professional and how he was rooting for me well that was and continues to be a driving force within all of us and everyone involved in this project. Honestly, an incredibly great bunch. I love them all.

(Photo: L to R Mig Macario, Jeffrey Kaiser, Faustino DiBauda) 

Geek Sheek: After Once Upon a Time aired what was the reception like with fans/ media and how have you handled it?

Faustino:

The reception was great. The people who saw it said they loved it.  Later it just got more and more popular and a little overwhelming at first but I love it! I wouldn’t have it any other way. Our fans are like a one big family, positive, loving and so cool!

Geek Sheek:  Now that the first season of ONCE is filmed and over what plans do you have now?

Faustino:

Just finished filming after Once Upon A Time, my first feature film called Seventh Son with Jeff Bridges and Julianne Moore, it was a treat. Planning to just keep working I guess.  Building some stone walls for my mom is probably my last project. It will be my masterpiece.

Geek Sheek:  What advice would you give an aspiring actor/actress?

Faustino:

Persistence, hard, smart work and belief in yourself. If you are following your heart’s desire it will always pay off. Always focus on the end result with positive thoughts and feeling.

Geek Sheek:  As I was reading some things about you on the ONCE Wiki I discovered you were an Olympic wrestler in high school.  What was that like?

Faustino:

Wow you’ve done your homework!  Let’s see, getting up every morning, running to school with books on my back, weight training, wrestling practice and over and over again, then no more.  Well, I gained some weight, grew a little, got a little depressed and came back. What was it like? FUN!






Yes, it was my life, my passion and at age 21  I injured my shoulder and had it operated on which ended my dream to go to the Olympics. That chapter of my life concluded and later I focused on work, career and kept the passion alive by officiating the sport as a referee at the international stage until four years ago and then I concentrated on acting.

Geek Sheek:  Explain Team 7 and how did that come about? I understand there is a hand signal involved and can we expect any merchandise of this in the future? 


Faustino: 
Well seven because there is seven of us. Hash tag #Team7 came about through twitter. First time I recall of its use was during the death scene of Snow White while in the forest that day. It was freezing cold, snowing and we were trying to keep warm and taking some photos, we were feeling like rappers saying "yo yo yo"  with some hand action looking down and seeing a seven and us saying team7!  Or something like that? 
(Photo: Lee Arenberg, Ginnifer Goodwyn, FaustinoDiBauda) 
All rights to Seven Dwarfs is owned by Disney I believe?

Geek Sheek:  Just one more and important question, what are some things that you Geek out about?


Faustino:
I obsess with order or I go nutty. I need to be neat or somewhat clean and organized or I go crazy.*-*

This was a great interview to read. I thank you Faustino for taking the time to put this together for me. You can check out Faustino via Twitter and Facebook. Links below.
Also, here is another interview on Faustino with Kelly at welovetv.net 

4 comments:

  1. I think you were being a little "Bashful" about your accomplishments as an Wrestling Official, iy is just as difficult to be a good official as it is a wrestler, and you being a FILA (international officila) was and still is a great accomplishment. proud of you Faustino.
    Clayton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome interview!
    I just had an interview with Faustino on my site Faustino asked for me to add a link to this interview as well, which I have I hope you don't mind!

    The one thing I love the most about Once Fans is that we all stick together, no matter if we are Evil Reglas, Team Sever, Snowing, Dearies or Charmers! Makes me very proud indeed!
    http://welovetv.net/2012/04/04/an-interview-with-faustino-di-bauda/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome interview! I really enjoyed reading it. Thank you so much for linking mine to yours. I will do the same :) Faustino is an wonderful person to write about and I'm enjoying his involvement with the fans.

      Delete